Car Accident!

Hey everyone-

I got rear-ended on Tuesday the 4th and wound up losing feeling and motion in my left leg. The motion has mostly come back, but the feeling hasn't yet. ( That is arguably the weirdest thing ever) My Ehlers- Danlos probably saved me from being paralyzed (according to the ER doc) because I dislocated my back instead of broke it. I know a lot of the members on this board have Ehlers- Danlos as well as POTS so I was wondering if anyone with EDS has ever had an injury like this and could comment. I know that generally we take longer to heal than others, but I'm actually quite scared as it's been a week and I can't feel my left foot and lower left leg.

Thanks.

Sara

Sara,

If I were you, I would see a good neurologist to find out what is going on. Dislocating can impinge the spine too, and one wrong move can be dangerous.

Take it from somone who knows all about spines and EDS. When I had my cervical spine surgery, they removed two badly herniated disks on c5, 6, and 7. C5/6 was so bad it left a dent in my spine. The neurosurgeon said it was really bad on my surgical report. A lot of steroids were pumped into my IVs for 24 hours----so much so, that it raised my glucose levels to the point of needing insulin injections while on the steroids. The steroids did give me the jitters, and raised m HR to 130bpm. I wondered why the nurse was giving me a shot in my leg----she told me it was insulin.

The good point is that the steroids made me feel pretty good for a while.

See a neurologist ASAP. ;)

Maxine :0)