Working & Pots

iheartcats

From reading through the boards, it looks like a lot of you hold down full time employment.

Do you have any tips on getting through the day and keeping POTS somewhat under control? I was recently diagnosed and I'm doing the fluids/salt and some days are much better than others. Unfortunately, a Flu Virus has made things miserable and I've been out sick for 3 days (which just cannot be a recurring thing for me as I only have a few sick days a year).

I can't afford not to work - I'm sure there has to be others who are in the same situation.

Fortunately, I have a mostly-desk-job and am thankful for that. I don't think I could handle a standing job.

Are there medications that have made things better (or worse) for any of you? My doctor suggested Midodrine...does anyone have any feedback on that?

Any other tips on 'getting through a work week' are appreciated!

Things that have helped me a work:

- having tasks at a desk as much as possible

- getting up and walking around to get the blood moving again every hour

- having stools / chairs in handy places, like near the photocopier and near the kettle

- drinking lots of water / squash first thing in the morning and through the day

- eating small meals / snacks regularly

- avoiding a large lunch

- splitting up my breaks, instead of an hour at lunch, take 3x 20 minute breaks during the day

- not dragging myself into work when getting ill with a virus (battling on usually means I am sicker and for longer, than if I rest up early).

Some of those require an understanding manager / boss but in most places you should be covered by a disability discrimination law that means your employers should help you by making "reasonable accommodations". It may be things like working one hour a day less than your colleagues so that you get less tired.

Hopefully other people will come up with other ideas and you can think about what might suit you before talking to your boss.

Good luck,

Flop

Have to agree with everything flop and pat have suggested so far. I find it is especially important to keep hydrated and to remember to eat regularly. As a teacher, I can't really eat in class, but if I wait and eat a large lunch I feel much worse in the afternoon. I try to sneak snacks throughout the day. I also find, although I do not recommend this if you are really hyperadrenergic (and I am hyperadrenergic but I know what I can tolerate) that a little bit of chocolate helps--physically and psychologically!!! Seriously, the caffeine bump does help. I cannot drink coffee but I know some people say that it helps too. I cannot stay sitting for too long either--which is problematic as a lot of my job also involves being behind a computer or sitting in interminable meetings. I try as much as I can to take stairs at work instead of the elevator--it's good to try and strengthen your legs to stop pooling.

Otherwise, I just take one day at a time. I can go for weeks and feel good and then for months and feel dreadful even though I am doing the same thing.

Good luck! I have to work to, but I seriously think that it is good to get out if you are able and I feel lucky that I can work.

India

I noticed several of you suggested eating smaller meals/snacks throughout the day. What do you suggest that is easy to carry with you that works for you? Open to suggestions. Do you find that you get more fatigued or sleepy when you are not eating or snacking like you should?

mary

I used to keep some healthy trail mix in my car, as well as containers of nuts, and pumpkin seeds (dry roasted and salted, which have high protein, high fiber content). I keep similar items in my desk at work. I also keep fresh fruit--bananas, grapefruit, oranges and apples. I may have a cup of tea sometimes at mid-day if I've really been dragging. I often have a few of those healthier frozen meals--smaller ones--that I keep in the freezer at my office for a small lunch. In my desk drawer right now, I have gluten free crackers that are made from flax and quinoa, and used them for lunch the other day by having them with slices of fat free cheese. Containers of yogurt or cottage cheese travel well and are okay to keep in the car for a few hours if you're not in a hot climate.

Nina