Pots - Not Pots????

mvdula

Well, I have posted before since I started to feel awful after/around the time I quit nursing my 12 month old and got my regular cycle back. Had a huge weird crash - sleeping problems, extreme fatigue, anxiety, panic, no appetite, lost weight, couldn't do much, etc etc. (Oh, and heat intolerance in summer for a few months before all other symptoms) Well, about 4 months later, I am feeling almost back to normal (which I didn't realize I had forgotten how that felt). Still have some anxiety/panic issues but not 1/2 as bad - and some PVCs, which I have had for a long time. Seems like my body had some blood volume?/hormonal problem readjusting. That's just my theory since drs don't seem to study these things. Just wondering if this was/is POTS - or just mimicked it, or what? My cardio ep - whom I love - suspected POTS, but not formally diagnosed. The only things I have really changed are I drink Gatorade almost exclusively, and take my multi-vitamin (hoping the B vits are helping?) and fish oil every morning. I do have this weird anxious feeling - physical? mental? late morning many times, and wondering if I do not drink enough in the morning (I seem to forget to drink much early in the day). Seems that drinking more in morning helps - Gatorade of course.

Anyone have any insight/experience with this?

Thanks!

Guest tearose

Insights...hmmm...

Sure sounds like POTS to me.

Well, when I was younger, like you, I think I was able to "bounce back" faster and bouncier...

I just don't seem to bounce anymore. So, it has changed over time, over years for me.

I think this disease or whatever it is we have or are in the process of getting or in the process of healing from...

varies from the amount of hormones, fluids, muscle, rest, virus, bacteria...who knows.

There were times I thought I was totally all better!!! I thought I was past this, then, out of seemingly nowhere, I was dealing with it again.

I refer to my type of POTS as relapsing and remitting. It has helped me to deal with it. (and for others to deal with too) I know I will get through the relapse and there will be better days. It is just now a longer and bumpier ride through the relapse as I try to get back into the remission place.

I hope you find the current funk a quickly passing stage.

best regards,

tearose

• 2 weeks later...

just thought i'd add another reply to bump this up since I got only 1 response.....anyone have any thoughts? I am basically better overall - just left with anxiety (bc of what has happened) and FEAR (interfering with daily life) that the fatigue/chest pain will come. So I avoid a lot of things because of that - not ready to try any exertion but do most normal daily activities.

Sounds like it could be POTS. If it is, unless your symptoms are bothersome or worse (ie disabling), generally the treatment is just what you are already doing, fluids, fluids, fluids and salt, to keep your blood volume up. Also exercise is important.

Many women find a hormonal connection with POTS. I was the opposite of you--I felt worse while pregnant and breast feeding. But many women with POTS feel best during pregnancy and lactation.

If your symptoms are intolerable I would talk to your EP about a tilt table test. If you do have POTS, and the symptoms are significant, there are many effective medications available.

There is definitely a connection between POTS and hormonal changes. This is why many women feel worse around menarche, menstruation or menopause. If you feel good right now, there is no use in worrying about what had happened or what could happen in the future. Just enjoy your energy and keep doing what's important to you. As to your diagnosis, you may very well have POTS, which for you seems to be recurrent in nature. If it's not POTS, it may be another form of autonomic dysfunction or orthostatic intolerance since there are many types of disorders that are variations on one theme - fatigue, dizziness, tachycardia, etc. Good luck, and enjoy your health and your baby!