I'm Adopting A New Kitty--it's A Boy!

MightyMouse

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to share some news. I'm in the process of buying a kitten to be a companion for me and for Abbi (my 16.5 yo girl kitty who is NOT a snuggler). I need a snuggler kitty and the breeder and I talked for a long time before deciding on this little boy who is a love bug... she says he'd rather be loved than eat. :)

I'm looking foward to the company...and even though Abbi acts aloof, I know she wants a playmate after losing her housemate (and mine!), Jeri, 2 months ago. Hope you enjoy the photos--we're tenatively naming him Wilbur--which was my grandfather's name. It will still be a few weeks before he comes home to live with us, but I'm excited... :)

Nina

Wilburcloseup.jpg

Wilburoncastle.jpg

Wilbura.jpg

hehehehehe...um, the ears will keep growing with him. :) He's a Savnanah. He's got African Serval in his lineage, which has huge ears, and he has about 25% or so Serval in him. Unlike some breeders, the one I'm using doesn't breed directly to Servals.

Here's info on Servals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serval

He will be a BIG boy, probably about 25 lbs or so when fully grown. His momma, Kboo, is 18 lbs and she's not considered to be her full size yet--they aren't fully grown until age 3. Unlike what it says in Wikipedia, he's likely to love playing in water; also, Savannahs are very smart--I need to babyproof the whole house, including doors and cabinets. :) Nina

I have pictures of his momma and poppa and he's going to be spotted just like them, and have big ears like them too. His dark nose comes from his grandparents, which I looked up online... he looks like grandad the most. He's one of 3 kittens in the litter, and his brother and sister were way too high spirited for me, and my old lady kitty Abbi to deal with.

I'm hoping that while he's still little, Abbi will adjust to him being here and love him too b/c he's used to grooming in a group of siblings and relatives.

I've got so much to do to prepare, it's not even funny. I have to agree to feed a special type of catfood, to use specific type of litter, and all sorts of other things--but it's nice to know, also that the breeder is so cautious. I had several others who would have sent me a cat without anything more than some cash from me and an address.

Nina

OMG!!!!!! Wilbur is so freakkin cute!! I love the ears on him.... toocute..

Im very happy for you and the new addition to your family..!!! :) :) happy kitty proofing!

Okay, I LOVE the name Wilbur...

AND, I am soooo not a cat person, but he is super-cute! :)

And, guess what? I call Asher my lovebug too! :)

Sounds like you did a LOT of good research and picked a responsible breeder. Kudos to you on that one. It is so sad the breeding practices that occur these days. (I won't go off on my puppy mill soap box, I promise!).

I know you will love having this new little life around to snuggle.

My mom went out of town, and I don't know what I would have done without Asher here. He makes me feel safe and less lonely. (Even though there were people in and out constantly to get me meals, blah de blah b/c i can't manage on my own)...

Let us know when you get him and post more pictures for us to ooh and aaah over! ;)

Em

i'm so happy to hear of the (soon to be) new addition to your family. when i found out that i was allergic to my kitty a few years back i had to have a real heart-to-heart with my allergist and needed to know HOW allergic as i told him, only half jokingly, that my feline friend was my roommate, best friend, boyfriend, & therapist all packed into one. now that i'm at my parents' there are three cats in my life.

your new buddy is adorable & i too LOVE the name (and the ears!)

congrats...

B) melissa

Bris!? Oy! B) more like removal of those two little dangly bits... which is mandated by my contract with the seller B)

Yes, Lois, you are completely correct that he looks an awful lot like an Ocicat. That's where I started my research--with one of the best Ocicat breeders in the US. Unfortunately, the waiting list for one of her cats was really long. So, I started an internet search looking for similar friendly and "dog-like" cats. Savannah is what I came up with.

Some Savannahs, especially early generations (closer relations to Serval) can be a bit more energetic--but overall are very dog-like, following their owners around, fetching, being very snuggly, etc. My former cat, Jeri, had these traits. They also chirp, which Jeri did too, instead of meowing. I talked to a number of breeders and LOTS of reading online before deciding on the breeder I'm working with now. I decided upon her, even if a little more expensive, because she was so careful with breeding for temperament. I originally was interested in a different kitten that she has, but after discussion with her, we both agreed he wouldn't be good match for me.

I'm so excited. I still miss Jeri--I see her picture every day now b/c she's the screensaver on my phone :)

Nina

Congrats on your new family memeber Nina! He's a real cutie...sounds like he's going to fit right into your house hold.

I tried to post yesterday but Salem...our newest addtion, loves to jump up on the desk when I'm at the PC to get some lovin'...I couldn't see past his expanding backside to type a reply!! :)

I hope that you have many wonderful years with Wilbur...and post pictures when you can...I love pictures!

I love Kitties! My babies are Cornish Rexes and have ginormous ears. They are missing the upper two layers of fur and only have the curly undercoat (which means they are a lot less allergenic for my fiance) They are soft like bunnies and shaped like greyhounds, but much smaller. Full grown, my girls are six and seven pounds. One was ill as a baby and did not develop to regular size. She is also partially blind, but would have been 100% blind if we had not rescued her when we did. They are 2 and 3 years old and wonderful. I got Elizabeth Kitty Stanton two and half years ago as a kitten. She is a big time cuddler, shoulder surfer, lapsitter, and scarf, and she adores her "mommy." We got Mary Wollstonecat (Wolly) about 9 months ago as an underweight, bald, mostly blind, very playful abused thing. She is now furry, active, able to see a lot of things, cuddly, healthy, and very clingly. Both cats follow me everywhere I go and both love lying on me. They are super warm, so sometimes that is overwhelming. They play a lot too! I also had to babyproof my house as they can jump from the floor to my fiance's shoulders (he is 6'2")! Needless to say, there are no glass items out anymore. I bought my mom a rex kitten too and he just overwhelmed her. She had elderly cats for years and now this one is a giant ball of energy. He is actually quite large as there is a big size discrepency between male and female in the rexes. He is 10 lbs and very very long. I wish I knew how to post pictures.

Congrats on your new Kitty!! Good luck with the big size! He is adorable! Be ready for a playtime!