Anyone get the feeling providers just throw meds at a problem without realizing that drugs could be the root of a issue.

MikeO

Bit of a rant here but finally figured out that statins were the underlying cause of my Myalgia ok fine no point at looking back we fixed it with a PCSK9 inhibitor but the latest is my kidneys started leaking microalbumin and been seeing a increasingly reduction in my eGFR (not where i want to be). so instead of backing out some potential offending drugs (nsaids and PPI's) the health care systems wants me on more meds and is pushing going back on a ACE and SLG1 inhibitor. one cites diabetes for the cause of the leak but my BG's are well controlled and the other says its my BP which are not perfect but my averages are under goal.

Not sure what the right answer for me is but the decline in kidney function started after going on the PPI med. guess this is not the first time i did a med reset but have notified my care team that i stopped the nsaids and PPI med and asked for a new uACR urine test in 3 months. i want to see if the med holiday helps before going on more meds and risking more drug related issues.

End of my frustration. 

Hey buddy don't ask at me, I'm just depressed and anxious and need to exercise (now that's not contraindicated in ME/CFS patients at all!) and "eat better" (y'know, like the food pyramid!) 🥲 

Pay careful attention during the med reset, I expect there'll be some overlapping symptoms resurfacing that you'll need to listen to your body to figure out where one or the other's stemming from. If ya don't ferret things out for yourself first before complaining to the drs about it, they'll jump all over it as an easy excuse/lazy evidence that you're just "supposed to be on it" (a horrifying but all too common statement I've noticed they love to make)

Statins can be very gnarly, def not for everyone, and there's been questions raised as to whether they're really for anyone

I think you're onto something with the NSAIDs and PPIs, tinkering with stomach acid levels can affect the way other meds are absorbed. 

So sorry that is very frustrating and I agree that some drs are eager to prescribe meds--that may help one problem but end up causing new problems.  Good you can get off the PPI and see if that helps.  PPIs can cause kidney injury, I learned that this summer, bc of a, fortunately, erroneous kidney test result that made my dr immediately pull the PPI I was on.  Apparently the damage can be reversible if you discontinue use.  I don't know how common erroneous kidney function test results are, but good to get another test in a few months.

On 10/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, bumpkin said:

Statins can be very gnarly, def not for everyone, and there's been questions raised as to whether they're really for anyone

This whole statin thing i guess still gets to me. Not a believer that's for sure. They do help with the LDL but at what price. Letting the patient think they have some other funky thing going on and running down the rabbit hole. PCSK9 inhibitor is very effective for me as i have a hard time with the LDL-C numbers so i am good. it just took me to say i am stopping the med to get any traction.

On 10/14/2024 at 11:03 AM, bumpkin said:

I think you're onto something with the NSAIDs and PPIs, tinkering with stomach acid levels can affect the way other meds are absorbed. 

Yeah these two can be hard on the kidneys. I did talk to the pharmacist yesterday and he did reaffirm it. I did let Endo talk me into a low dose ACE inhibitor and so far seems to have stabilized my blood pressures (with in 10 points 125-134) for that last two days. never know maybe we found the smoking gun to my liable BP's Lol