Insulin resistance and blood glucose link to dysautonomia?

I wondered if there is any link with insulin issues or blood glucose issues and a link to dysautonomia ? For example, if someone had these issues could it be linked to dysautonomia or are they totally separate conditions?

Does anyone here have issues with insulin or blood glucose? I would be curious to know! thank you 

45 minutes ago, tenef246 said:

I wondered if there is any link with insulin issues or blood glucose issues and a link to dysautonomia ? For example, if someone had these issues could it be linked to dysautonomia or are they totally separate conditions?

Does anyone here have issues with insulin or blood glucose? I would be curious to know! thank you 

I have diabetes and often pondered your same question. Best i have come up with is Diabetes can lead to dysautonomia due to nerve damage from high blood sugar levels, affecting autonomic function. The link involves diabetic neuropathy disrupting the autonomic nervous system, which regulates involuntary functions like heart rate and digestion.

Not sure if this helps you. hopefully some other folks will queue in.

There was a research study looking at abnormal behaviour of a chemical called GIP in POTS patients, and in that study the authors also talked about insulin resistance.

I’m afraid I couldn’t follow that part of the discussion.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/35232225/

There is a bigger study being conducted by the same group:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT05375968?term=shibao pots gip&rank=1

The lead researcher gave a lecture on their work, but the audio quality isn’t very good and I gave up on it after a couple of minutes. Maybe auto captions will help? I’m sure it’s very interesting.

@Sarah TeeGreat material thanks for the links. This topic is pretty much on track as to what i have seen over the last couple of years and have well documented from my CGM data and symptoms. Being glucose challenged is a stressor for me and has often aggravated my OH and transient hypoglycemia events.

While i have been tagged with T2D my Endo is a bit stumped as my fasting glucose,insulin,c-peptide,proinsulin labs are all normal but still end up with sustained high BG's and at times the blood sugars will crash (usually 3-5 hrs later) so now i have to see one more Doc as endo is concerned over the lows.

I do wonder if the use of insulin injections helps (in general i am symptom free) when glucose challenged and if the insulin blunts the release of the GIP hormone. 

My Doc did mention on MyChart that he suspects my diabetes is dysautonomia induced. I just don't think i will ever get any testing done to prove it.

@MikeO, perhaps there are quite a few people out there having similar problems to you, but who have not got as far in understanding it as you have.

Can GIP be ordered as a blood test outside the research setting? Maybe at Vanderbilt, or a sample sent there?

If you saw Dr Shibao, I wonder if she could offer any insight. But as you say the testing to understand and measure the interactions between the ANS and blood sugar/insulin/etc. doesn’t exist yet.

Dr Shibao is fairly young – maybe she will invent it!

My thoughts are scattered today, but if you were having high GIP, I suppose you could try octreotide, which counteracts it. But it’s not a targeted treatment and does nasty things to the gall bladder, so you really wouldn’t want to as long as the insulin injections are working reasonably well.

21 minutes ago, Sarah Tee said:

perhaps there are quite a few people out there having similar problems to you, but who have not got as far in understanding it as you have.

These were my thoughts exactly, hopefully the doctors don't stay stumped for too much longer since I'm sure it's not just a few of us out there, and they really need to meet patients where they are, not where the doctors expect a normal human body to be lol.. we're all proof that this whole thing can work very differently from the way they were taught. 

@bumpkin, yes indeed. @MikeO has been tenacious in his quest to understand blood glucose problems. But we have all had to chase our diagnosis and treatment to some extent. It would be great if doctors could meet us even half way … apart from those few autonomic experts out there who work so hard for us all, even if we can’t all see them in person.