Droxidopa (Northera) and Octreotide Cost UK

• tenef246 changed the title to Droxidopa (Northera) and Octreotide Cost UK

I'm in the UK and not currently prescribed octreotide, but I'm hoping to start it after my next gastro appointment.

I use the BNF website to try and get a rough idea of costs. The drug tariff price for the cheapest form of the lowest dose of octreotide is £14.87 for 5 doses. At 3 doses a day that's £250 for a 28 day supply. (Source)

The drug tariff price is how much the NHS would reimburse a pharmacy for an NHS prescription, so I view this number as a price floor rather than a realistic estimate. In my experience private prescriptions often have a substantial markup over NHS tariff prices, and there are big variations between different pharmacies and brands. I'm expecting it would come out somewhere in the region of £300–500 a month.

Droxidopa isn't a licenced medication in the UK, so I think a pharmacy would have to import it for you, and likely won't be cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read some of the review articles from POTS physicians in the UK and they are pretty strange at times. Id actually doubt a physician in the UK would prescribe either of these meds but the later is super expensive.

Phenylephrine - the alpha 1 agonist was found to activate the alpha 1 receptor subtype (i think maybe Alpha 1b) which was the most common in the splanchnic/stomach venous reservoir however that area also relies on postganglionic alpha 2s which are pressor.