Midodrine 'crashes'

laurab

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I have dysautonomia (OI, GP, likely IST, can't thermoregulate) secondary to EDS and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.

I've been on midodrine for a long time for the OI... I'm largely reliant on a wheelchair anyway because of the CRPS and associate , but without the midodrine I'm almost bed-bound because I faint as soon as I'm upright. I actually fainted and fell while transferring from bed to chair a couple of years ago and fractured my spine in multiple places.

Question is - some four hours or so after taking the midodrine, I 'crash'. I get very tired, very cold and shaky, my heart races more than normal. Does anyone else experience this?

Laura

Yes, midodrine only lasts 4-5 hours max, so I would imagine most people who take midodrine experience the crash after it wears off. It seems the average dosage is 2-3 times a day for this reason.

I can do anything when the med is in my system, but when my third pill of the day wears off it is time for me to relax and stay sitting

Typically I can feel the dose wearing off after about 3- 3 1/2 hours. The last pill of the day was the worst- that one was like taking a nose-dive. After a while I got used to it and it wasn't so bad... but my system seems to adjust to Midodrine in general. I can only be on a certain dose for so long before it becomes less effective and needs to be increased for me to continue seeing the same benefits.