Are Our Cbcs Normal Or Not?

sue1234

I was reading around today about hypovolemia, and ended up on this ancient thread from 1993! It reminds me of the days when dial-up was the norm!

Anyway, there is this one thread where someone talks about hypovolemia and the inaccuracy of CBCs, and what that could mean regarding possible anemia. I usually don't link to some random post, but the content is food for thought and discussion. The first couple of paragraphs are not too pertinent, but then the rest could apply to us.

http://www.newtreatments.org/ga.php?linkid=294

I really didn't navigate around this site, as it seemed impossible. But, like I said, the content was interesting.

That is interesting. My son's blood work would ALWAYS show a high Red Blood Cell count. When I questioned it all anyone ever said was they only worry if it is low. Might this be the explaination? Because he has low blood volume? He has terrible blood pooling issues no matter how much he drinks.

Wow, thank you for that article! i was reading along... yup, up, makes sense, been having this argument with docs for ages.. then wham!

For example: Chromochrome p450 is an iron-containing

enzyme involved in drug metabolism. If everything is not right with this

enzyme, you will respond differently to most drugs (likely super

sensitive), which is often reported in these illnesses.

I knew p450 was associated with med sensitivities, but never associated it with myself until i read this article and saw that it may be mediated by iron levels, etc. I will be demanding that they test my fe+tibc+ferritin on monday when i go in for more catecholamine studies. fe=iron, tibc=total iron binding capacity. ill bet you a pound of liver mine is low!

fyi, if anyone is reading up on this, where it says: For example: Chromochrome p450 is an iron-containing.... the correct terminology is 'cytochrome' p450.

another fyi regarding cbc's. when you are dehydrated you hemoconcentrate, meaning there are more cells floating around in less fluid, so absolute cell counts will be elevated.

When you are required to fast for blood work you should not abstain from all fluids-especially if you tend to dehydrate. water is always acceptable, as is decaf and herbal teas, decaf coffee-no sugars if you are having sugars checked,and no creams or fats if you are having cholesterol levels checked. for other testing its best to check because even if fasting is requested it is not always necessary, sometimes the opposite. as a general save bet though.. water, decaf coffee and teas with nothing added is ok for basic labs.

sometimes high red blood cell counts can be an entirely different issue. If the elevations cannot be accounted for due to dehydration its a good idea to get that checked.

I have read that page before. I remember it, because I look at the two hands for comparing an "anemic" hand against a "normal" hand, and I always think the "normal" hand looks like the person is sick with something!! His hand is swollen and red!! Actually, my hand looks just like the "anemic" hand, almost exact same color--slight tan and a tinge of yellow. It is normal for me.

I found this article published by Dr. Julian Stewart on Anemia and Simple Faint. Read through to the end and it talks about how hemoglobin(or lack of it) causes more nitric oxide. Towards the end, it mentions this nitric oxide produced because of low iron stores could be responsible for the splanchnic pooling.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475592/?tool=pubmed

And, another article by some Baylor pediatric neurologists that show in their study that kids with NMH or vasovagal syncope are more likely to have low iron stores or low ferritin versus normal subjects. It was interesting that their hemoglobin was slightly lower, but normal range. So, if they weren't specifically doing the ferritin and iron tests, they wouldn't have noticed the difference. At the end, it says these low levels could be a precipitating factor for their NMH or vasovagal. I would definitely have all my numbers checked if that was my diagnosis!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18571533