Calves Tighten And Swell When Walking

LindaJoy

Hi, everyone,

Just a quick question, and I apologize if this has been discussed here before. When I walk, my calves will swell and tighten, then hurt. Sometimes, I'm afraid I won't make it back to my car (I walk a neighborhood path). I used to do this years ago, when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've since been diagnosed with Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), and I'm on hydrocortisone (steroids), from which I'm weaning.

Could adrenaline surges be causing this? Low cortisol? Anyonw else do this and know why?

Thanks.

Lindajoy

Have you ever heard of Intemittent Claudication? It causes leg pain that is worse with walking and involves the calves. I don't know if its related to dysautonomias but it might be something to read up on to see if it matches what you are experiencing....

Here is a quote from one website:

What is Intermittent Claudication?

Claudication is a term derived from the Latin word meaning "to limp". Intermittent claudication (vascular claudication) describes the pain that develops in the muscles of the legs when taking exercise, such as walking. Commonly, the calf muscles are the most affected, and patients describe a cramping discomfort, as characteristic of the pain. Initially patients may be able to walk through the pain, but as the disease progresses further, this is not possible and the claudication pain causes limping and can only relieved by resting. Most patients find that their claudication symptoms are worse on walking uphill. They can also be worse when walking barefoot or wearing flat shoes. Any situation in which the muscles of the legs have to work harder will worsen claudication symptoms. Some patients develop symptoms in their thighs and buttocks and PVD may also lead to impotence in men (Leriche syndrome). The development of particular claudication symptoms, depends on exactly which arteries are affected.

The symptoms of claudication can be mimicked by many other conditions which cause pain in the legs such as arthritis and nerve problems (neuropathy). Neurogenic claudication is pain in the legs due to compression of nerves in the spinal cord and can be very difficult to distinguish from claudication due to arterial problems.

Since the vascular system is impaired in some dysautonomias it wouldn't surprise me if the 2 conditions are often found together...

good luck in your search.....I sure know how awful it can be to get somewhere and then wonder how you are going to get back to your car....

I was going to post the exact thing as Amber, but did not want to give the impression that I am diagnosing you. Obviously, we cannot diagnose. We can only suggest ideas.

I hope someone "gets to the bottom of" your leg problem to your satisfaction.

I get a tightness in the lower legs that feels like I have compression strips wrapped around them. This is not particularly painful but it is discomfort. This also is not cramping. I was told that this may be a build up of protein and is similar to what people with chronic venous insufficiency have. The person who told me this was not a doctor but was a representative for a company that sells sequential pumps that are used by chronic heart failure patients to squeeze the fluid from the lymphatic system in the legs.

• 3 weeks later...

My "extremities" get mildly "tight & numb" feeling at various times. My calves & feet are most prone. My forearms will do so even if they aren't part of my exercise (for example if only working legs). I think it is part of (what is for me very mild) vascular constriction weirdness and maybe just part of POTS stuff at times.

If I recall correctly, the body typically puts out mild generalized "constriction" message during exercise and then signals localized "dilation" in areas being worked. It seems sometimes the localized dilation isn't quite happening but the mild constriction is... or vice versa if I go faint unexpectedly. I think flakey vasoconstriction of the very mild variety like I have is probably part of the game with POTS or perhaps other dysautonomias. I know I don't personally have extreme enough responses to qualify for Raynaud's or something like that. Just mild weirdness, mostly a mild discomfort (though I have wondered if it inhibits performance & recovery from exercise).