Best Exercise Machine

bizbiz

Before I crashed I used to walk daily with my boy in the pram. If I was on my own I would start walking again, but since I have my boy with me I will not walk the streets until I feel better incase I faint / get dizzy etc.

So in the meantime I want to buy an exercise machine because I dont want to get too deconditioned.

Obviously I want to get something that will work the lower legs. I'd love to start riding my horses again, but I'm just not ready for that yet either.

At this stage I am thinking either stationary bike, or treadmill.

Any (better) suggestions?

Thanks.

Whatever is the cheapest that you will actually use! My vote is for the stationary bike, for several reasons: you can use it while lying down (I'll explain that in a minute,) you can bend/hunch over the handlebars and you definitely have something to hold onto. As far as the lying down part, I have seen my PT use their normal, stationary bikes on certain patients while they lie down(on their backs) on a mat in front of the bike; their legs are straddling the front wheel, with feet on pedals and in the straps. This way you can work your leg muscles with no orthostatic stress until you are more "conditioned" or during those POTS-holes that come up even if you are. You have to be upright to use a treadmill, and the really good ones are expensive!

Before spending money, I'd try them out. I'm actually someone who gets faint on the bike not the treadmill. I guess I need the calf muscles for venous return, and those aren't as active on the bike. Either that, or I have more abdominal pooling when I sit?? Anyway, I guess I can speculate about the reasons, but the end result is I'm much better walking than sitting and peddling. I actually have a recumbent bike I'm trying to get rid of!

I don't know your age or if you have any issues with osteopenia or osteoporosis, but I do and I'm fairly young to have it. I have pretty severe osteoporosis in my spine. The best exercise, if you can tolerate it and you want to make sure you're helping your bone strength is something that's weight-bearing, like walking on the treadmill. They are expensive, but they also have railings in case you feel off-balance. I also really like the EFX machine or cross-trainer (which also works your upper body), both of which you can hold on to the railings for balance and support. The bike can be good, too, but it's not really weight-bearing and I have a harder time on the bike than the other machines. Also, try to add in a little lower body exercise by doing squats or lunges (I do them on the treadmill so I can hang on to the rails to give me balance....). I also do light weights at home for my biceps/triceps.

Definitely stop by a gym to check out which one works best for you, and make sure you look in the paper for used machines. Here in Tucson, they also have stores that carry used equipment with warranties.

Good luck, and let us know what you get! Whatever you choose, moving is good for us all.

Jana

At this stage I am thinking either stationary bike, or treadmill.

Any (better) suggestions?

Thanks.

We have an elliptical, and I LOVE it. It's very low impact, and it's quiet, so I can watch TV when I use it (major benefit.) We did have a stationary bike, but I found it put too much pressure on my lower back and aggravated my SI joints.

I have had treadmills, and they were fine, but noisy and harder on the knees.

I would recommend a stationary recumbant bike. I purchased one about a year ago and LOVE it. I like it much better than a traditional stationary bike because I am actually sitting in a chair with arms and a back. On a regular stationary bike, it was still dangerous if I got dizzy because there was nothing supporting me. Also, the recumbant puts lets strain on my back. I can work my legs and get the blood pumping without any concern for falling off or over. I got mine from QVC.com.

Good luck!

I would recommend a stationary recumbant bike. I purchased one about a year ago and LOVE it. I like it much better than a traditional stationary bike because I am actually sitting in a chair with arms and a back. On a regular stationary bike, it was still dangerous if I got dizzy because there was nothing supporting me. Also, the recumbant puts lets strain on my back. I can work my legs and get the blood pumping without any concern for falling off or over. I got mine from QVC.com.

Good luck!

Good luck!

I have recumbant bike also and like Mrs. B., it tends to hurt my lowerback despite trying various settings, position adjustments and speed. Pitty. Maybe some day ... but not for now.

What about exercises that don't require an investment? I'm good at stuff lying down like ab work. Simple tools like those bands for resistance training or other isometrics, can be great for keeping in condition. If you have a wide repetoire to choose from you can mix-n-match depending on how you feel for that day. For folks who can get out and join a gym/spa, they can have the flexibility of a wide variety of machines on any given day.

Its hard to get a single machine that has that kind of flexibility. That's why I like little things like free weights, pilates ball, or simple things to work specific areas of my body.

I invested in an elliptical running machine and I love it. I fainted strolling with my kids in the neighborhood so I now work out in the comfort of my own home. The area underneath it is carpeted in case I do pass out. It's very easy on the joints and I like being upright when I exercise. Good luck!

Brye

Some gyms have a cheap/free trial offer every now and then which you might be able to use to try some stuff out first hand... I guess places that sell the stuff would too but I just don't know so I'll throw out my gym idea just in case!

It sounds like people really vary as to what exercise approach & positions they can get away with. For me, standing still is worse than most any activity... as moving something about tends to help. Don't have a specific recommendation except perhaps some break dancing and good pop-n-lock moves (really pump the blood around)... you can go horizontal for some moves or even bust out a head spin which really keeps the blood from pooling :)

Although I need to use it more, I like my exercise bike that I ordered online. It is just the pedals and the area connecting them. It is not a large bike with a seat and handle bars. So, that way I can sit how I am comfortable. I also made sure it wasn't to noisy, so I can watch tv etc. while working out. Also, you have to make sure it is one of the heavier ones that stays still whill you are pedaling.

I also like the fact that it can be put on a table and I can use my arms to pedal, which also gives a great workout.

:)

We had a recumbent bike but it hurt my lower back also. We now have an upright stationery bike, but I get too breathless on it. If the weather is below 70 degrees, I find that I can walk for miles (as long as I don't stop!). For me, walking must activate the calf muscles needed for better venous return more effectively than biking.