Tilt Training

Tilt training= standing or sitting upright, leaning against a wall, until syncopal symptoms develop and then laying down again. Progressive gradual increase in the time upright has supposedly been studied and shown to help the body to slowly adjust to upright posture and improve (but not eliminate) OI.

Has anyone ever done this? Did it help? How long and how often did you try?

Tilt training= standing or sitting upright, leaning against a wall, until syncopal symptoms develop and then laying down again. Progressive gradual increase in the time upright has supposedly been studied and shown to help the body to slowly adjust to upright posture and improve (but not eliminate) OI.

Has anyone ever done this? Did it help? How long and how often did you try?

This while initially seeming wierd, makes sense physiologically. One of the main points we need to work on is muscle training. Doing this would help your ody to respond to the stressor in a safe environment. Actually when I started teaching older adults and special needs fitness classes I did this. My theory is that my job is to make sure that in that situation if they fell, they could move or get up. We had amazing results. Even had a man with stroke who started in wheelchair and later after a couple of years he could walk with a cane.!!! Sorry fr the trip down memory lane.

i did this for a week...but pushed my self to hard the last time i did it. i was tilting for half an hour (i dont faint....so i was pushing through feelings of nausea) i crashed badly that night. havent done it since.

i think it could be useful. but i would recommend to start slowly.

I tried it when I first had symptoms several eyara ago, and found it somewhat helpful, if I inceased with TINY increments and did not push till I felt really bad. I had to stop because I sprained my eds hip. I do better now if I just keep moving. It's not only my ans symptoms that are hard if I stand still, but all my joints start to scream. I can walk for up to 45 minutes, but can't stand still without subluxing. So it may be worth a try if you increase no more than a minute at a time and stop before you feel symptomatic.

I was told to do this by my cardiologist - he wanted me to stand until I actually fainted then get up and stand again. I remember posting about this before and getting advice from doctorguest that actually allowing myself to faint wasn't a good idea!

When I was trying this I was so ill that I couldn't stand for more than a few seconds without symptoms and I would faint quickly without any different warning symptoms so I decided it was too dangerous for me.

I find it more helpful to keep walking and I have instead been working on remaining upright for longer times whilst walking.

Flop

My own intuition tells me this is a good idea. It is not curing whatever does not work in our bodies:it just helps us adjust to the deficiency.

I would not let myself get too symptomatic. I also would suggest moving as opposed to standing still. I would suggest building slowly on the amount of time.

But that's all my opinion. In my case, I'm finding out, that a dose of sugar, or is it the caffeine(?) from a protein bar adds to the amount of time I can stay upright.