Mack's Mom

Are you sensitive to chemical smells such as perfume and hairspray? Are you sensitive to new medications? I was wondering in light of the fact that you said you had MCAD. Thanks in advance.

I am sensitive to some smells. The first time I used the self cleaning feature on my new oven, I had an attack. I also experienced symptoms, while driving, after using an oil based solvent on my car mats. I use mostly unscented products and I have given up on perfume just to prevent symptoms. With MCAD, symptoms to even the same trigger can vary greatly. The unpredictability is tough.

I have had allergic reactions to some medications, like sulfa drugs, nexium, erthromycin, biaxcin, and most recently turmeric.

Are these issues similar to yours?

Hi,

Sorry, because I am kinda jumping in on futurehope's thread. :)

Mack's Mom and others with experience/understanding of MCAD,

I was wondering about if there is something "opposite" of MCAD in nature? I am curious because before whenever I have tried many of the meds that are used for MCAD I have had weird adverse reactions. Benadryl used to always wind me up (and not knock me out like it does to many- I haven't taken it in awhile to know how I respond now). Sudafed also always put me to sleep (and makes most others wired). Zantac (or possibly it was Tagament) gave me awful photosensitive migraines (actually probably my first one). I can't remember if Allegra is used for MCAD, but that gave me this very uncomfortable pain in my stomach. It was supposed to be one of those like one in a million chances of a side effect.

Or could it be that my body was just needing an adjustment period to these drugs, due to that they were having such a profound effect? Most of the meds that I had the most severe and odd reactions to are meds used for MCAD. It just seems odd???

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!!!

:)

Are you sensitive to chemical smells such as perfume and hairspray? Are you sensitive to new medications? I was wondering in light of the fact that you said you had MCAD. Thanks in advance.

I am sensitive to some smells. The first time I used the self cleaning feature on my new oven, I had an attack. I also experienced symptoms, while driving, after using an oil based solvent on my car mats. I use mostly unscented products and I have given up on perfume just to prevent symptoms. With MCAD, symptoms to even the same trigger can vary greatly. The unpredictability is tough.

I have had allergic reactions to some medications, like sulfa drugs, nexium, erthromycin, biaxcin, and most recently turmeric.

Are these issues similar to yours?

I was asking because I do not have the "usual" flushing (except for 2 attacks) or hives, but I am sensitive to chemicals and odors. I can get an instant headache. I did not used to be this way. As a matter of fact, I used to love to wear perfume. Now, if you are anywhere near me with it on, I'll leave. I would love to talk to an MCAD doctor and get their "take" on my symptoms. Thanks again for all your input. Do you live near Boston or did you travel far to see your MCAD doctor?

"I was asking because I do not have the "usual" flushing (except for 2 attacks) or hives, but I am sensitive to chemicals and odors. I can get an instant headache. I did not used to be this way. As a matter of fact, I used to love to wear perfume. Now, if you are anywhere near me with it on, I'll leave. I would love to talk to an MCAD doctor and get their "take" on my symptoms. Thanks again for all your input. Do you live near Boston or did you travel far to see your MCAD doctor?"

Most MCAD patients do have some flushing and/or hives, but your smell sensitivities are also indicative of a mast cell reaction. Could you be flushing and not aware of it? I live in northeast GA and travelled to Boston to see Dr. Castells. My local allergist is treating my wonderfully and fully concurs with Dr. Castells.

Amy, I also have some "opposite" reactions to mast meds. Benadryl and atarax do not make my sleepy. They can wire me. I have to be careful not to take them too close to bedtime. I don't know what that means. But, it's a good question :blink:

Julie