Just A Concern

cma

So today I was sitting and thinking once again about my last visit to the doctor. I am hoping that he will agree to do the test, but I am concerned that it might be false/negative, because I've noticed that my resting heart rate at the doctor's office is usually higher than my resting heart rate at home, the difference is around 15bpm. I am not sure if the heart rate when I stand there also increases.

So I wanted to get your opinions is it possible or should the heart rate when standing also increase.

I don't know if my question makes sense, tried to formulate it the best I could and this is all I could get :ph34r:

I would guess that you are probably a little nervous at your doctor's office (understandably) so that could account for the resting heart rate increase.

One of my best investments for this disease was an autonomatic BP cuff. I got it at WalMart, but they are available almost anywhere and the cheaper ones are under $50. This summer, my primary care doc asked me to start a symptom diary, so I include orthostatic vitals each day. It helps me to track my responses to different meds, compression hose, diet, or anything that affects my symptoms. And I've brought my docs copies of my recent BP's/heartrates when I have an appt. Also, a month ago I was having problems with hypertension and it gave me specific data to give to my doc when I asked for her help.

I know that there are some days when my heartrate doesn't fluctuate as much, and my heartrates don't always correlate with how I'm feeling. But most days, I have at least 30 points difference between laying and standing. Today I was 64 laying down and 134 standing.

In normal people, their heartrates don't rise more than 15-20 points on standing. Is the test you were referring to the tilt table test? I would think it would be beneficial. I reread your first post and your symptoms sound like they could be dysautonomia. It wouldn't hurt to do the TTT, especially if they don't give you the meds during the test. Janie

I have a heart monitor I usually wear. My rate is often 75-ish lying down. 80s sitting. And will fly to 130+ standing. Once it calms down I am happy when it's 100-120 up and moving about. Bad days it's 120-150. Stairs make it crazy. 170, but it's just for the short period of time.

So I'd get the test - the doctors can take the jump in nervousness from the visit in consideration, I assume.

CMA-

Are you referring to something similar to this?

When I am home my normal resting heartrate is about 85 (sitting). When I stand up my heart rate goes to 120ish.

When I am at the doctors my resting heartrate is about 120 (sitting). When I stand up my heart rate goes to 150ish.

I don't like the doctor, can you tell?

Are you worried that if your resting heartrate at the doctors is 120, you won't have as dramatic of a jump when you are stood up during a tilt table test? If so, yes, it's understandable that the heart rate doesn't jump as much. My heart rate still met the criteria for POTS during my tilt, even though it started at 120. Try to relax (very hard, I know).

Sara

The other piece that they'll look at is blood pressure. Mine doesn't change dramatically at home from supine to standing (although my heart rate goes 30+) but at the Doctor's office I tend to run high all around (heart rate and BP). Not unusual. I was shaking so much in my cardiologists office the last time I went in to see him that he didn't even both taking my heart rate during the orthostatic test. He just took my blood pressure laying down and standing ... and said "140/95 ... 100/70" Its your POTS and you are having hyperadrenergic responses. In my case he also insisted on NO beta blockers, since I do very poorly on them and it is his opinion that it would make my situation worse.

That was last October. I'm now doing a bit better now as the adrenaline surges have died down quiet a bit. Still don't know why (could be thyroid, could be hormones, could be any number of things.)

All we can do is try, one day at a time. Good luck at your next appointment. You may want to keep a chart of your blood pressure and heart rates standing and laying down in the morning and evening for a few weeks time. I used this to take to my doctors as we were trying to determine what was happening, and the data helped them to see the extent of my situation, and I wasn't so worried or dependent on a single test in their office.

~EM