I Just Had To Post This...

ajw4790

I just found this abstract on Pubmed. Interesting! Don't drink too much Red Bull! :blink:

Clin Auton Res. 2008 Aug;18(4):221-3. Epub 2008 Aug 5.

Reversible postural tachycardia syndrome due to inadvertent overuse of Red Bull.

Terlizzi R, Rocchi C, Serra M, Solieri L, Cortelli P.

Dept. of Neurological Sciences, University of Bologna, Via Ugo Foscolo 7, 40123, Bologna, Italy. rossanaterlizzi@libero.it

Postural tachycardia syndrome associated with a vasovagal reaction was recorded in a young volleyball player after an excess intake of Red Bull as a refreshing energy drink. Considering the widespread use of Red Bull among young people who are often unaware of the drink's drug content, this case report suggest Red Bull be considered a possible cause of orthostatic intolerance.

Well. Suppose it's theoretically possible, although I don't know what "temporary POTS" is, either...maybe its just semantics, but its not POTS if it's caused by drinking a highly caffeinated drink.

I've never had Red Bull in my life. However, back when I first started having serious symptoms, my first reaction while waiting for a diagnosis was to make an effort at "healthy living". Cut back on salt and cut out all caffeine. I became much sicker at an alarming speed.

I do feel worse if I have too much sugar or any trace of caffeine. So I guess I can imagine this in a normal person. That's funny though---I wonder if this happens to addicted coffee drinkers?

What?

I don't think they have the complete information.

When I drink one cup of coffee I have no heart rate increase but 10-15 bpm (beats per minute) decrease. I also have a raise in blood pressure from 90/60 to 100 or 110 over 70 or 80.

It was only after being totally caffeine free for two days that I triggered super high heart rates. 196-202 and that was clearly something OTHER than POTS. I was sick and unable to sleep or live well for an additional three weeks. I am still working with a bio-chemist to figure out what that is. It is either from adenosine receptors coming back to life or it may be related to tyrosine deficiency.

Extremely important to note, my POTS was still active after totally being off all caffeine!

I think some people may experience transient tachycardia from stimulants and they should just NOT use them.

I know that if a person has a lot of caffeine on an empty stomach they will get temporary postural tachycardia -- meaning when they stand up their HR will soar, and when they sit it goes back down. This lasts until the person either metabolizes some food or until the caffeine leaves the body. I would agree that this isn't the same as the entire syndrome of POTS (a constellation of symptoms) but I could see where someone might refer to it as a "temporary POTS." Perhaps the volleyball player hadn't had much to eat since she was working out (I know I can't eat a lot before exercise without getting a stomach ache). The combination of low food, high energy expenditure, and loads of caffeine could make her posturally tachy temporarily.

Hi,

I am glad I am not the only one who found this odd! :P I don't think I have ever heard of "temporary POTS" before... I also found it amazing that someone was drinking that much Red Bull, had that many constant side effects, and a dr. found them as having POTS. Many go for years without diagnosis.... Then, they write up this case report, which time and resources may be better spent? Not to mention, if a dr. sees this then they may go on practicing with the notion that POTS can be "temporary" and caused by excessive caffeine and whatever else is in Red Bull. (does it have like ginseng and b vitamins or something as well?)

I suppose it may be helpful knowledge for some people. I just hope that all the info from it will be used properly.

I agree it is puzzling that someone can be diagnosed with "transient POTS" when so many of us with non-transient POTS go months to years trying to get a diagnosis! It would be interesting to have more information.

There must be another active ingredient besides a heavy dose of caffiene in this drink?

Really, it does seem like a poor use of limited research resources.