Husband Upset Tonight: Got Colonoscopy Results

LindaJoy

Hi, everyone,

I've been all over the internet, trying to find what these terms mean in my husband's results from his colonoscopy. We just got the paperwork, the doc's office is closed, the paperwork mentions "tumor," and my husband is very, very upset (he hardly ever worries about his health, so I'm really wanting to help him). Can anyone explain what the following means?

"Colonoscopy, REM POLYP, TUMOR HBX, CAU"

I'm thinking it means that they removed a polyp and sent it in for biopsy, but is a polyp and a tumor the same thing? If so, why did they use both words here?

John's doctor never said anything about a tumor to me after his procedure. He did mention a polyp.

Thanks, everyone. I'm sorry to bother you all with this, but I want to help ease my husband's mind, and I know you all know sooooo much about a lot more than dysautonomia, so.... :rolleyes:

Have a good evening,

Lindajoy

Hi LindaJoy,

I'm so sorry to hear the stress that you and your husband are going through from getting unexplained test results. In the UK we don't often get copies of hospital information and never before a doctor has discussed the results with us - frustrating but does avoid unnecessary worry.

Sorry I can't translate the report properly but I have heard / know a bit about some of the terms used.

A polyp is a fleshy overgrowth of tissue, normally on a stalk and sticking out into a cavity / tube like structure (as the colon is a tube, a polyp would stick out into the hollow part where the waste matter goes through).

A tumour is also an overgrowth of tissue but can be any shape (hence all polyps are technically tumours but most tumours are not polyps). The important thing to know about tumours is that there are 2 very different types - they can be benign (harmless) or malignant (cancerous) so not all tumours are cancer.

Bx is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "biopsy" (in the same way that Ix is investigation, Rx is prescription and Dx is diagnosis).

Sorry I can't explain what the report says but don't assume the worst until you have got hold of his doctor and got it translated into english!! I hope that the news isn't what you are fearing.

Flop

Perhaps.

Remarkable polyp, tumor HBX,cauterized.

HBX is a multifunctional protein. It modulates the sensitivity of cells to cytokines and growth factors, transactivates multiple cellular and viral genes, and forms complexes with different cellular proteins, such as the p53 tumor suppressor protein. In addition, it alters the cell death program.

http://www.nature.com/onc/journal/v22/n19/full/1206539a.html

Its important to remember that polyp removal is effective treatment. I have had a "remarkable" polyp removed also.

Wow. Talk about needing to fix the way they communicate info. I know that what you have on your mind is finding out what it means but if you feel like it is important I would definitely let all parties involved know that this is NOT the way to give a patient results especially when the word Tumor is on the report.

I hope you get some good news very soon.

mary

Thanks, everyone, for your explanations and encouragement.

Well, we made it through the night, my husband nearly in tears. I felt so bad for him. He called the next day, and the nurse explained that the way they removed the polyp was the same as the way they remove tumors, so the code they used was the same, for billing purposes. She apologized for the concern. Gee, thanks. My husband was so relieved, he forgot all about them sending us this paperwork without an explanation first. I'm glad he feels better about it and everything turned out okay!!

Again, thanks for being here. I told him what you all said and he did feel better about your support, as well. You all are so great here.

Take care,

Lindajoy